If you’re planning to elevate the look of your entire home, siding installation is the home improvement project for you. It is a worthwhile investment that can enhance your home’s curb appeal.
However, siding will make or break your home so we recommend choosing a seasoned siding contractor.
That’s where Will County Siding and Windows comes into the picture. Request a free quote for window and siding installation, or continue reading this comprehensive guide for a head start.
In this guide, you’ll discover:
- the process of siding installation;
- tips on preparing your home before the process;
- steps involved during the installation;
- and a comparison between DIY installation and hiring a professional.
The Process of Siding Installation: Project Timeline
First, consider the size of your residential property, as it plays a critical role in any home improvement project. From the terrain to the number of stories, these factors will impact the installation timeline. A professional window and siding installation contractor will cater to all these factors before the final quote.
Typically, a siding installation may take ten to fourteen days. Add a few more days to the mix should your siding require coats of paint. The length of the project entails various steps ranging from:
- removing current siding;
- preparing and insulating the property;
- installing new siding;
- and other tune-ups before finalizing the project.
Siding Installation: How to Prep Your Home
Preparing your home for siding installation is necessary to ensure a smooth and successful renovation project. A little preparation goes a long way in minimizing disruptions and ensuring the safety of your property and loved ones.
Here are a few guidelines for you:
- One of the first things to consider is the vegetation surrounding your home. Tie back or trim any overhanging branches, trees, or shrubbery that could obstruct the installation process. Providing clear access to your home’s exterior will prevent potential damages. Additionally, cutting your grass short makes it easier for contractors to locate and retrieve stray staples or nails.
- To further ensure the smooth execution of the project, it’s essential to clear all items away from your home’s exterior. Move patio furniture, gardening equipment, potted plants, and other miscellaneous objects that might hinder the contractors’ work.
- During the siding removal and installation, vibrations might cause items to shift or fall inside your home. To prevent items from being damaged, remove hanging shelves, pictures, or valuable objects from the walls.
- A dumpster will be delivered to your property to collect the old siding and debris. Clear your driveway on the installation day to facilitate easy access for the workers and ensure a smooth cleanup process.
- On the installation day, park your vehicles further away from your home. Loose debris may fall during the process, and parking at a safe distance will protect your cars from damage.
- Communicating with your contractor about the shutters, downspouts, and caulking around your windows and doors is vital. Remove these fixtures before your appointment or discuss whether to include it in your service contract.
- Finally, to protect your children and pets, keep them away from the work area during the installation.
Following these guidelines and preparing your home accordingly can contribute to a successful and efficient siding installation.
The Step-By-Step Process For Siding Installation
There are several essential steps and procedures to ensure a successful and long-lasting outcome for your home’s exterior. Each step plays a crucial role in transforming your house and providing it with the necessary protection against external elements.
Removal of Existing Siding
Before installing your new siding, it is essential to remove the existing siding carefully. During this phase, the installation team will strip off the old siding and thoroughly examine the wall beneath it.
This examination helps locate any signs of rot or water damage that might have occurred over time. Identifying and addressing these issues ensures that the new siding can be installed correctly, preventing future complications.
After the wall has been assessed, the next step is to prepare the wall for the new siding. The appearance and durability of the new siding heavily depends on the condition of the underlying wall. Therefore, the contractor will make necessary repairs to ensure smooth, even, and optimal conditions for the siding installation. Addressing structural issues and providing a solid foundation is crucial to achieving a flawless finish for the new siding.
Proper insulation is a critical aspect of the siding installation process. Once the wall has been prepared, the contractor will install insulation to improve your home’s energy efficiency and comfort.
Insulation helps regulate indoor temperatures, reduces energy consumption, and provides a more comfortable living environment. Proper insulation can even help reduce energy bills, making it an integral part of the overall siding installation process.
Installing New Siding
The final and most exciting step in the siding installation process is installing the new siding. With the wall adequately prepared and insulated, the contractor will begin installing the new siding material chosen for your home.
The installation process may vary depending on the type of siding chosen, such as vinyl, fiber cement, wood, or metal. The contractor will use their expertise to ensure that each piece is aligned and securely attached to the wall. If the chosen siding requires paint or finish, your contractor will do this step last.
The painting process may take several days, depending on your home’s size and the design’s complexity.
Get top-quality window and siding installation services in Will County and its surrounding area from our BBB-accredited business. Will County Siding and Windows has been serving the market for 46 years with guaranteed customer satisfaction. Learn more here!
DIY vs. Professional Services: A Face-Off
Many homeowners are tempted to take the do-it-yourself (DIY) route to save some money. However, tackling window and siding installation alone comes with risks to your home and your wallet. Hiring a professional contractor for these tasks is a wise investment that protects your home’s beauty, durability, and value.
Professional contractors have the expertise and experience to handle window and siding installation efficiently and effectively. They have undergone rigorous training and deeply understand the best practices and techniques required for a flawless installation. Inversely, DIYers might lack the necessary knowledge, leading to improper installations that could compromise the windows and siding.
Second, window and siding installations require specialized tools and equipment. Professional contractors come equipped with the right tools to handle the job precisely. DIYers may have to spend additional money purchasing or renting tools they might never use again. Improvising with inadequate tools can result in subpar installations and potential damage to your home’s exterior.
One of the most significant risks of DIY window and siding installation is the potential for mistakes and errors. Even minor measurement errors can lead to costly issues like water intrusion, air leaks, and reduced energy efficiency. Professionals have the expertise to avoid these pitfalls, minimizing the risk of future problems.
Additionally, DIY projects can be time-consuming and physically demanding, especially if you lack experience in construction work. It’s easy to underestimate the time and effort needed to complete the job. Hiring a professional can ensure the job is done right, on time, and up to code.
Will County Siding and Windows To The Rescue!
For window and siding installation in Will County, Crest Hill, and Plainfield, consider Will County Siding and Windows. With 46 years of experience and a team of skilled experts, we can transform your home’s exteriors to stand the test of time. Don’t risk the beauty and integrity of your home by attempting a DIY project. Contact us today for a free quote and let the professionals handle your window and siding installation needs. Your home deserves the best!